Suddenly I See

Monday, August 20, 2012

My Grandma Garrett



Grandma on her 80th Birthday- 8/2/2009

My Grandma Garrett passed away on Friday August 17, 2012. She went into the hospital on Tuesday of the same week and by Friday she was ready to leave this world. It's hard because the rest of us weren't ready to say goodbye.

I am so grateful I was able to see her that Tuesday morning when she was in the emergency room. I will remember and cherish those moments the rest of my life. I was able to hold her had and rub her arm. And she called me "Katie Kat" like she always did and we prayed together. And she told me that she loved me very much and I her.

And that was the last real conversation that I had with her. All I prayed for from that Tuesday morning till she passed Friday night was that she was peaceful and wasn't in any pain. I didn't know she would pass until later in the week but something told all of us that she was ready to let go and that we had to let her.

Since Friday I have thought constantly about her. About the way she loved her family. About the way we loved her. She really was a wonderful Grandmother and I just hope that she knows how much we love her. There will always be things I wish I had done or not done or said or not said. But I can't undo or redo anything. She was human and so were all of us and we all love each other deeply.

I really don't have a way to wrap up this post nicely in a bow. And I plan on writing more. I just wanted to get my feelings out. To express how much I love my Grandma. And how much I will miss her. I can't even begin to grasp that. I don't want to I guess and frankly I will probably avoid it for a while. It's too much right now. Right now my family will just continue to love each other and take care of each other. As my Grandma would want. 

I love my family so much. We are lucky to have each other. And we are lucky to have Grandma looking over us.

I love you Grandma!

1 comment: