Suddenly I See

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Katie and Pam's Big Trip: Day Two

We were mostly over our jet-lag (mostly) by our second day.

The day started early with Eliza, the kids, Mom, and I making the trek to Arlington National Cemetery. This was a must see on my Mom's to-do list while we were there. (It was my favorite thing I saw the first time I went to D.C.)

Eliza was such a trooper to walk around in the heat with her two little ones while being nine months pregnant.


Arlington did not disappoint my mom. It really is very impressive. It was much more crowded then the first time I went but we hit all the key points- the Eternal Flame, the Kennedy graves, Robert Lee's house, and the changing of the guards. All of them so neat to look at.

View from Arlington National Cemetery

Changing of the Guard at the "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier"


This is Teddy Kennedy's grave. (not far from Bobby's and the Eternal Flame)

After our Arlington visit Eliza dropped us off at "the mall" for our day of exploring. I must say that this was one of my most favorite days ever (along with this day of course). It was great to get to wander around D.C. with my mom and a map. We just went where the map lead us and saw some great things. We really did want to see The Ford Theater, but we found out when we got over there that it was closed for the weekend. Next time. But they did have a great gift shop where we picked-up some fun things including copies of the Emancipation Proclamation and Declaration of Independence and some "Penny" earrings.

The map took us to the "Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery". I am so glad we checked this place out. Such a great museum. We spent a good chunk of our afternoon here and saw so many great things. Definitely would love to come back.




An Andy Warhol

Katharine Hepburn's Academy Awards.



Sculpture of Gertrude Stein

After the museum we made our way back to "the mall" and looked around. We saw the outside of the National Archives. We didn't go in but should have since Hannah was working.


We also went to the Smithsonian American Art Museum and some great stuff. They also have a great gift shop, my favorite one of all the museums (that I have been to).

We tried to go the "Newseum" but they were closing so we went back the next day. We wandered around a bit more and decided to head back to Eliza's house. We found the Metro and made it back.

Eliza made us a great dinner and Hannah came over and we had a wonderful night of chatting and catching up. I love those Terrill girls!

Day 3 coming soon!

No comments: