Suddenly I See

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Happy 100th Birthday Lucille Ball!

If you have been on Google's homepage today then you know it is Lucille Ball's 100th birthday (if you haven't been on you should check it out, it's pretty cool.

Anyone who knows me probably knows I am a huge Lucille Ball and "I Love Lucy" fan. I've seen every episode (of course) and have the entire collection on DVD (thanks Mom and Dad).

I have loved that show my whole life. It's funny and heartwarming. I loved the friendship of Lucy and Ethel, Ricky and Fred, and all four of them together. Everyone wants to believe that they can be best friends with their neighbors. Every time I see the episode where Ricky and Lucy move to the country I get a little sad know that they are leaving the Mertzes behind. And then I get happy when the Mertzes join them in the country and they all raise chickens together.






Lucy and Desi were also in "The Long Long Trailer", another favorite, and Lucy was in "Yours, Mine, and Ours" among other movies. Everything she touched was clever and full of heart.

A couple of good books to check out if you are a fan are "Love Lucy" written by Lucille Ball herself. It's the story of her life and is very interesting. Another one is "I Love Lucy" , it is full of information about the show. I have them both if anyone would like to borrow.

One of my favorite quotes is from Lucille Ball, "Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world."

And now, because I know everyone was wondering, here is a list of my favorite "I Love Lucy" episodes. I don't love the classic favorites as much as some people (like the "Vitavetavegamen" and the chocolate one) although they are funny. The ones I love most are in red.

Pioneer Women, Season One
Redecorating, Season Two
Lucy Wants New Furniture, Season Two
Ricky and Fred are TV Fans, Season Two
Never Do Business with Friends, Season Two
Redecorating the Mertze's Apartment, Season Three
The Business Manager, Season Four
Ethel's Birthday, Season Four
Ricky's Contract, Season Four
Getting Ready, Season Four

Lucy Learns to Drive, Season Four

California, Here We Come, Season Four

First Stop, Season Four
L.A. at Last, Season Four
The Star Upstairs, Season Four
Lucy Visits Grauman, Season Five

Lucy and John Wayne, Season Five

Ricky Sells the Car, Season Five
The Great Train Robbery, Season Five

Ricky's European Booking, Season Five

The Passports, Season Five

Staten Island Ferry, Season Five

Bon Voyage, Season Five

Second Honeymoon, Season Five
Lucy Gets a Paris Gown, Season Five
Lucy's Bicycle Trip, Season Five
Off to Florida, Season Six
Deep-Sea Fishing, Season Six
Lucy Wants to Move to the Country, Season Six
Lucy Hates to Leave, Season Six

Lucy Misses the Mertzes, Season Six

Lucy Gets Chummy With the Neighbors, Season Six

Lucy Raises Chickens, Season Six

Lucy's Night in Town, Season Six
Housewarming, Season Six
Lucy Raises Tulips, Season Six
*All of the Lucy Dezi Comedy Hours are great as well.

Needless to say I love the show.

A couple of other cool finds from today's research around the internet, Lucy Barbies I especially like these
I had heard of the barbies before but never realized there were so many of them. Also, how amazing would it be to visit this museum. I think I will have to make this happen sometime (Mom, Peggy, Vickie you up for a trip??).

I love this quote by Lucille Ball, it's one of my favorites, "Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world."
Thanks for all of the laughter Lucy and Happy 100th birthday! Such a beautiful and talented lady.

3 comments:

Pam said...

What a great post. You come by your love of Lucy honestly. Starting with Grandma Lottie when the show was first aired, then me and Peggy and now you. Where is the Lucy Museum, I would love to go.

hanner said...

if i had known you were such a huge lucy fan i would have mentioned earlier that my project at the library of congress was working on an "i love lucy" exhibit! i spent so much of that internship watching clips from the show and it was the best internship ever. haha. anyway, the exhibit is traveling to the walt disney concert hall soon (i'm not sure when...) so you should be sure to check it out.

Katie said...

Thanks for the information Hannah! That job sounds amazing. I will keep my eye out!