Suddenly I See

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Goodbye Old Friend

This is the post where I will wax nostalgic about an inanimate object.

It is time to say goodbye to my car. It was after much deliberation that I decided I can't keep putting money into a car that isn't reliable and is eleven years old.

Last night I bought a new car, picked it up today (more on that later).

This morning I sold my car. It's going to be hard handing over the keys tomorrow but the car is going to go to a young girl who needs a starter car. That makes me happy, someone will carry on the legacy of my car.

My Beetle and I have been together since I was twenty. We went on some fun adventures together although as of late not many of those adventures have been outside of this area code. "Carma" as I christened her since I got her at Carmax and just took off the "x", was the first car that I bought and she was with me through my last three years of college and through four or five jobs. Basically in giving up this car it's like releasing part of myself, maybe my younger self. This car and I grew up together, although I think that I have fared better. I am probably making too much out of a car but it's always been a part of who I am, a symbol, if you will.

My Beetle,kind of fun (remember the time I dressed you up as a reindeer?), way cute (mostly at first when you still had fog lights and not dents and scratches), young, kind of flaky (remember the time you overheated while waiting in line to see the Light Festival and the time you overheated and leaked all over the Kohl's parking lot and the time that you completely lost all power on the freeway and I thought we were going to die? Oh yeah and the time you scraped the parked car? Totally your fault not mine), but loyal (remember how you have been my car for 7 1/2 years?)

I will miss her but the memories are great and after all it's an inanimate object but the memories are real. And that's way better.

And even better now she will give someone new memories. Hopefully someone with a lot of cash who can keep fixing her.

Thanks for the memories Carma!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Ah yes, I remember the time you dressed it up as a reindeer for, let's see, I think it was about 6 months! I believe one Justin Gerlach was the person to FINALLY do the deed of taking off the gear!