Suddenly I See

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A refreshing evening







It was of those days, the kind that makes you feel like your soul needs to take a deep breath. Nothing wrong, nothing to complain about, the soul just needs a little jump start. I had one of those days for a couple of days actually. I think it is just being indoors all day at work. Sometimes you just need to be outside, take a moment, and just be. Hard to do that inside at work all day.

After I got home from work I decided I needed to do something to remedy the situation. It was time to get out and take a walk. Usually after work I like to relax, look online, eat, and watch tv. Not today though, today I just needed to be. I put on the Nikes, tied my hair back, and set out on a walk.

It was nice to be in the fresh air, to smell the flowers as the breeze blew their scent by. I was already relaxed.

Normally my mind is going, I encourage myself to critically think about everything. That's what I would like to believe anyway. Closer to the truth is that I am obsessive compulsive and I have to overthink and analyze everything until I drive even myself crazy. Most of the time doing this doesn't bother me, it's really an excersize in getting to know yourself better. But not today, my mind needed a respit. So the rule was think about as little as possible, just take in the surroundings and I did.

I made smiled when I saw the dogs and cats, enjoyed the breeze, limited as it was, and looked at the houses I passed. And of course, said hello to the passer-bys. Nothing replensihes my faith in humanity like the cordialness of a friendly stranger. Maybe this is the recipe for a good attitude about society. Instead of staying home and watching the six o'clock news and all of its ugliness get out for an evening stroll and observe humanity- good people who do good things. Am I stretching a friendly hello from a stranger too far?

Clearing my mind worked, it relaxed me, allowed me to enjoy the rest of my evening in a more calm, peaceful manner.


It was a good little walk, followed by a good little dinner with my parents who I met up with.

It was nice to get a breath of fresh air for me and for my soul. I will have to remember to do this more often and to focus less on the fact of having to be inside all day and more on taking advantage of my down time by getting out and seeing more and doing more. I will also have to remember to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors, inparticular my beautiful view out my bedroom and bathroom windows.

Fresh air, good for the heart, very good for the soul.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

You're so right. I used to be great about getting out for fresh air. Before I got pregnant with Theo I went for runs often. When he was a baby and up until Ida was born I was also pretty good about getting out with Theo in the jogging stroller. Since October, though, I haven't been out much, until the last month or so. I always feel so good afterward, regardless of whether I walk or jog, it's just nice to get out and enjoy the world.

Thanks for putting that feeling into words.

Pam said...

It is nice and sets the tone for a better day tomorrow. You really do have a beautiful view from your room, much better than ours here. Glad you enjoyed your walk.